A complete tutorial with all the tools and color recipes needed to paint a leopard appaloosa on a Breyer, Schleich, CollectA, artist resin or other brand of model horse.
These color recipes are a guide to help you replicate what I created for the video, and take out the guesswork in mixing paint for model horses. It's not full-proof, as every brand of paint is a little different and everyone sees color differently, but it will help give you a leg up in the process that you can refine to your taste as you develop your skills. In the video I am using Golden brand acrylics in Fluid and Heavy Body. Feel free to use the same, or to find the below named colors in other brands. Bear in mind that the more you change from the tutorial, the more likely you will get a different result.
the very first layer and the base for everything else. In the video I airbrushed this layer, but you can thin it down and apply thin washes to build up the color if you are painting it by hand. An airbrush is faster and easier, but absolutely not required to follow along with this tutorial. Mix the following colors of paint:
Warm Pearl White
The color used to give your model depth and realism. Mix:
Cool Pearl White
The color used for shading. Mix:
If you are painting dark to light spots as I have down in the video, this is your first color for the spots. Mix:
If you are painting lighter to darker spots instead, add more white until the grey matches the lightest part of the spots in your reference.
The color you will use for the darkest centers of your spots. Mix:
Mottling Base Color
To follow along with the method I showed in the video, mix:
If you are opting to paint the pink layers of the mottling instead of using the earth pigments, then mix a tiny bit of Burnt Sienna with a larger portion of Titan Buff to taste.
Tools & Supplies You Will Need
Credits and Resources
HELP SUPPORT THIS CHANNEL:
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/bluemountainstable
- Teespring Model Horse Merch: https://bit.ly/30jWXcY
- Redbubble Model Horse Merch: https://rdbl.co/30hGaag
VIDEOS MENTIONED IN THIS VIDEO:
- Ultimate Guide to Painting Markings: https://youtu.be/HQyB-aF4Ahs
- Painting Details: https://youtu.be/M_VbsjYW7CI
- Pinking Model Horses: https://youtu.be/FpKsp1JzAZI
- Painting Striped Hooves: https://youtu.be/sAJVW_rUE4I
MORE FROM BLUE MOUNTAIN STABLE ON WEB AND SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Website: http://www.bluemountainstable.com/
- Blog: http://www.bluemountainstable.com/blog
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bluemountainstable/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BlueMountainStable/
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BlueMountainStable
Follow me on social media for tips, WIPS and behind-the-scenes looks into how I paint and sculpt model horses and Breyer horses. Thanks for watching!
OTHER VIDEOS YOU MIGHT LIKE
- How to Stay Safe Customizing Model Horses | Ultimate Safety Guide
- How to Paint a Bay - Model Horse Customizing Tutorial
- Prepping and Priming Artist Resin Model Horses
- Sculpting Stablemate Ears Part 1
- Sculpting Stablemate Ears Part 2
- How I Made My Drastic CM Breyer Lady Phase Into a Criollo - VIDEO TOUR
“Vast Chant” by Oshóva on Soundcloud. Creative Commons License (reuse allowed). https://soundcloud.com/osh-va/vast-chant
“Acoustic Waves” by Oshóva on Soundcloud. Creative Commons Liscense (reuse allowed). https://soundcloud.com/osh-va/acoustic-waves
The author of this blog and a model horse customizer, painter, and sculptor.
Check Out My Social Media
Awesome Model Horse Blogs
Must-Know Websites - Tutorials
Must Know Websites - Showing & Collecting
My Favorite Model Horse Painters
My Favorite Model Horse Sculptors
My Favorite Model Horse Tack Makers
My Favorite Model Horse Prop Makers