How adorable are these shrunken down Breyer Traditionals to new Stablemate molds? I am quite excited, not only because these are some of my childhood favorite molds, but because I also have customizing plans...
As a customizer, what I love about these new shrinky Breyer Stablemates are increased details and accuracies, such as more facial detail and more correctly proportioned ears (other Stablemate ears are either too large, or the molds are so old the ears are falling apart practically). And I must say, I am particularly excited about the Chris Hess shrinkies, as his molds made up the vast majority of the childhood collection I had to downsize, plus he made so many more molds than I ever owned, like this Indian Pony.
I definitely want to paint this in Appaloosa and it will likely get at least SOME resculpting, but I'm not sure what yet.
Iron Metal Chief was a model I wanted to add to my traditional herd as child (it was pretty much a holy grail at that time) and while I would have loved a tiny, exact replica, I was happy to see a fleabitten grey. I learned to ride on a friend's fleabitten grey MFT. It will be hard to customize this one as a result, so it may be that I paint him as a fleabitten grey mare.
The mini Croi I am very excited about. I LOVE the Traditional pony, but the OF offerings never quite stuck with me, and it would have meant adding a large Traditional horse to the collection when I am trying to downsize to a tiny herd. So mini Croi is perfect both for her size and for the painting possibilities. I'm not sure what I'll paint her as yet, but I think I can say this might be one of those rare customs that I only repaint.
Credits and Links
Thanks to Chatto Studios for supplying these. She is also a model horse customizer and tutorial maker, so check out her channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfvX39nr3SVYzZiJMFPntRw
MORE FROM BLUE MOUNTAIN STABLE ON WEB AND SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Website: http://www.bluemountainstable.com/
- Blog: http://www.bluemountainstable.com/blog
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bluemountainstable/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BlueMountainStable/
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BlueMountainStable
- Teespring Model Horse Merch: https://bit.ly/30jWXcY
- Redbubble Model Horse Merch: https://rdbl.co/30hGaag
Follow me on social media for tips, WIPS and behind-the-scenes looks into how I paint and sculpt model horses and Breyer horses. Thanks for watching!
GOOD TOOLS FOR MODEL HORSE CUSTOMIZING
- Files https://amzn.to/2YeVuAr OR
- Sandpaper https://amzn.to/2DRGyjE
- White Charcoal Pencil https://amzn.to/2vDe6h1
- Gloves for painting and priming https://amzn.to/2J3QPxl
- Painters mask https://amzn.to/2LyeZT4
- Replaceable cartridges https://amzn.to/2vEKf88
- Goggles for protective eye-wear https://amzn.to/2ZZEu2w
- Temperature and humidity gage https://amzn.to/2IZWTXN
- Master's Touch Round 0 http://bit.ly/2VhjZzN
- Windsor & Newton Cotman 0000 Round https://amzn.to/2VNiYiq
- Select Artiste Princeton 18/0 Round https://amzn.to/2WlulLo
CLAY FOR RESCULTPING
- Aves Apoxy Sculpt https://amzn.to/2V2wbPO
- Magic Sculpt
- Milliput Superfine White https://amzn.to/2Ttu6O3
- Fluid Titanium White https://amzn.to/2WsBN7I
- Fluid Titan Buff https://amzn.to/2Y1D9GO
- Fluid Raw Sienna https://amzn.to/2H3HUsj
- Fluid Burnt Sienna https://amzn.to/307zsBk
- Fluid Burnt Umber Light https://amzn.to/2Wryzkz
- Fluid Raw Umber https://amzn.to/2ZTThfj
- Fluid Van Dyke Brown https://amzn.to/2V1TU2O
- Fluid Carbon Black https://amzn.to/2VfbyVK
- Fluid Phthalo Blue https://amzn.to/2LqrpvV
- Fluid Primary Cyan https://amzn.to/2Jio7Ze
- Fluid Iridescent Gold Deep (Fine) https://amzn.to/2VLj8GT
- Fluid Iridescent Gold (Fine) https://amzn.to/2DQaZqy
- Fluid Interference Blue https://amzn.to/2VRPkbW
WICKED COLORS AIRBRUSH PAINT
- Pearlescent Black https://amzn.to/2ZXWgDy
DRY EARTH COLOR
- Sennelier Dry Earth Pigment in Burnt Sienna https://amzn.to/2GXGWy2
MUSIC IN THE VIDEO:
"Pluck It Up," by Dan Henig, YouTube Audio Library.
Awesome Model Horse Blogs
Showing & Collecting
My Favorite Model Horse Painters
My Favorite Model Horse Sculptors
My Favorite Model Horse Tack Makers
My Favorite Model Horse Prop Makers