How to Paint a Leopard Appaloosa Horse
How to Hand Paint Model Horses with Acrylics and Get Creamy Blends
It will take practice, but it is possible to paint acrylics with creamy blends and smooth surfaces, just like oil painting.
What Brand of White Paint is Best for Model Horse Markings?
I am on a quest to find the best titanium white paint for building up markings faster and better. While the quest continues, I found a few VERY surprising and noteworthy contenders.
Oil Painting Quick Tips - Coming Soon!
How to Paint a Black Roan in Pencil and Pastel
A beginner-friendly method to converting any horse into a roan.
Painting a Unicorn in Culture Hustle Black 3.0 Paint
How to Paint Hooves, Eyes & Chestnuts in Hand-Painted Acrylics
While this is demonstrated on the smaller Stablemates scale (because there are so few tutorials on these little guys), you can follow along with a larger scale model horse too.
Ultimate Guide on How To Paint Model Horse White Markings
This tutorial video covers the tips and tricks for painting easier and better pintos, appaloosas and simpler model horse white markings like socks and blazes.
Sketching on the computer is a great way to work out kinks in your pinto or appaloosa pattern before committing it to paint on the model.
This art supply is my favorite and it is very beginner friendly because it's so easy to correct!
Learn how I use earth pigments or pastels to create delicate pinking in soft skin areas like muzzles.
How to Paint Striped Hooves in Hand-Painted Acrylics
Pretty easy to do, and I share a secret to make them more realistic. Be sure to check out my painting details video above as well to learn how to paint a basic hoof first.
Other Great Places to Find Model Horse Customizing Tutorials, Tack Making Tutorials, and More
- Painting a Liver Chestnut in Airbrushed Acrylics, by Myla Pearce
- Customizing Model Horses, a book by Ashley Stollberg
- How to Sculpt a Horse in Polymer Clay, a book by Janine Haq
- Ultimate Tutorial Collection from Shoestring Stable
- Shoestring Stable Customizing Blog
- Chestnut Ridge
- Customizing articles from Breyer Model Horses
- Model horse airbrushing guides for Citadel paint colors
- Tutorials for tack and accessories
- National Model Painting Month (NaMoPaiMo)
- More links added as I find great resources