Everything you need to know on how to prep and prime your own resins like a pro, and how they differ from plastic horses like Breyers.
Prepping and Priming Pewter Micro Minis
It's an age-old question from beginner customizers, and the answer is both yes and no. Learn why in this video.
Prepping - Removing Seams
Rough seams on original plastic models are probably the number-one reason custom horses don't place well at a show, so if you feel like you aren't winning often, check this out and see what you can do to improve.
The Importance of Wearing Gloves
There's a reason art historians wear gloves when repairing old paintings, and it will help your model horse customs too!
Using Colored Primers
The different kinds of colored primers, how they differ from paint and primer combos, and how the different colors can make painting model horses easier and faster.
Prepping - Sanding Tips for Flawless Paint Surfaces
How to get that perfectly smooth surface before you paint your model.
Other Great Places to Find Model Horse Customizing Tutorials, Tack Making Tutorials, and More
- Painting a Liver Chestnut in Airbrushed Acrylics, by Myla Pearce
- Customizing Model Horses, a book by Ashley Stollberg
- How to Sculpt a Horse in Polymer Clay, a book by Janine Haq
- Ultimate Tutorial Collection from Shoestring Stable
- Shoestring Stable Customizing Blog
- Chestnut Ridge
- Customizing articles from Breyer Model Horses
- Model horse airbrushing guides for Citadel paint colors
- Tutorials for tack and accessories
- National Model Painting Month (NaMoPaiMo)
- More links added as I find great resources