Guides for Simple to Drastic Customizing
How to Sculpt Stablemate Ears
Stablemate ears are a struggle for many people, but they became soooo much easier for me when I learned this sculpting technique.
How to Sculpt Fishtail Braids on a Model Horse
My technique for sculpting a nice, slim fishtail braid on a model horse, as demonstrated on 1/32 scale (aka Breyer Stablemate scale). It can easily scale up for larger scales.
How to Sculpt Button Braids
This tutorial is my favorite approach for sculpting this attractive English turnout, and is even adaptable to smaller scales with a little practice. It pairs nicely with the fishtail braids tutorial.
How to Sculpt a Running Braid
Sculpting Dynamic Manes and Tails with Armatures
A beginner-friendly guide to advancing your hair sculpting scales and creating truly dynamic, more advanced manes and tails for model horses. Try this on your next customized Breyer!
Quick Tip for Sculpting Smoother Manes and Tails
For NaMoPaiMo 2019 and the MEPSA Make-Over Contest, I transformed a Breyer Lady Phase into a trotting Criollo mare in airbrushed bay sabino.
These 6 techniques allow me to be fearless when customizing and create just about any horse I want. With a little practice, they can do the same for you.
It's not about what Breyer verses Peter Stone, how popular your mold is, or if you chose acrylics over oils. The secret to you best customs is craftsmanship.
Try one or more of these steps on your next model horse custom.
See how I converted the Breyer Stablemates G1 Old Mold Thoroughbred mare into an elegant Arabian mare as my 2018 NaMoPaiMo project.
Other Great Places to Find Model Horse Customizing Tutorials, Tack Making Tutorials, and More
- Painting a Liver Chestnut in Airbrushed Acrylics, by Myla Pearce
- Customizing Model Horses, a book by Ashley Stollberg
- How to Sculpt a Horse in Polymer Clay, a book by Janine Haq
- Ultimate Tutorial Collection from Shoestring Stable
- Shoestring Stable Customizing Blog
- Chestnut Ridge
- Customizing articles from Breyer Model Horses
- Model horse airbrushing guides for Citadel paint colors
- Tutorials for tack and accessories
- National Model Painting Month (NaMoPaiMo)
- More links added as I find great resources